The Cape Florida lighthouse is one of the most celebrated landmarks owned by the State of Florida.
The historic compound in Bill Baggs State Park and Recreation Area includes the newly restored, 95-foot white-brick tower and a replica of the lighthouse keeper's 1825 cottage, delighting visitors as well as residents of this subtropical island of Key Biscayne. Graceful coconut palms line the walkway toward the ocean and grand historic monument.
A climb to the lantern room affords a vast panorama of the lush island with its long stretch of sandy beaches and the ever-changing tropical seas.
Against a background of aquamarine waters, leaping dolphins and giant rays, schools of colorful fishes, occasional sharks, diving pelicans, and other tropical birds may be seen.
You will view ships from international ports plying the deep blue of the powerful Gulf Stream, enormous cruise ships on the horizon, and luxury yachts, deep-sea fishing boats, and bobbing sailboats riding the waves.
The tranquility surrounding the entire state park - and especially the historic compound - belies the dramatic and sometimes violent past when hurricanes, fire, and the Seminole Wars swept through the region.
The original lighthouse and cottage, built in 1825, were attacked and burned in 1836 by Seminole warriors protesting U.S. presence in the South Florida wilderness and resisting deportation from Florida to the West.
When the lighthouse was rebuilt in 1855-1856, it was extended from 65 feet to its present height, and wooden stairs were replaced with 119 spiraling iron steps to the top.
Today rangers and guides on scheduled tours take visitors through the furnished air-conditioned cottage and the cookhouse (now an air-conditioned video mini-theater) as an introduction to Cape Florida lighthouse history and Key Biscayne.
The lighthouse rises on the southernmost tip of Key Biscayne overlooking the rest of the more than 500-acre Bill Baggs State Park.
Visitors may want to picnic, sunbathe, swim, fish, or follow paths through the ecologically restored interior, traveling on foot or bicycle from beachside to bayside on the Key
The CMA-CGM M/V Ville D'Orion drew a lot of lookie-loo attention from folks on nearby John S. Gibson Boulevard when it sailed into the TraPac terminal in Los Angeles on FRi. March 24 with stacks of containers at its stern leaning precariously to one side.
The containers apparently pulled loose at sea after one of the bottom containers collapsed. The ship was taken to the adjacent Yang Ming Terminal to offload the damaged cans.
Final score, according to the Coast Guard, was 69 containers damaged in the incident, no containers lost overboard, no HazMat problems, and no injuries.
A barge crane and crew was brought in from Matson Construction after IWLU longshore workers reportedly refused to unload the containers because of safety concerns.
Damage to containers ranged from simple cracks to containers torn completely open.
Damage to the ship was minimal.
Attorneys & marine surveyors were also on hand to assess damage for the owners of the ship, cargo, & containers. The last of the containers was unloaded on Mar. 27 & the Ville D'Orion sailed on.
Está situado al Noroeste de San Vicente de la Barquera.
Aunque en un principio no estaba prevista su construcción durante el reinado de Isabel II, las protestas de marineros y autoridades locales forzaron su inclusión en el Primer Plan de Alumbrado.
Finalmente, el 27 de diciembre de 1871 entró en funcionamiento. La reforma más importante que sufrió fue en la década de los años veinte , al instalar un aparato óptico dotado de un juego de pantallas giratorias montadas sobre un flotador de mercurio y accionadas por una máquina de relojería de peso motor. con lo que conseguía una nueva característica de ocultaciones cada 6 seg. y 16 millas de alcance.
En marzo de 1954 se instaló una sirena de niebla provista de un único vibrador con la característica "V" en código Morse, repetida cada 30 segundos, que aún sigue operativa.
Solo se activa en caso de niebla, con la ventaja añadida de que se puede poner en marcha desde el Faro de Suances, cabecera de la zona oriental.
Esto responde al sistema de Telecontrol instalado en todos los faros y que permite dirigirlos por ordenador.
La vivienda era similar a la del faro de Suances, mientras que la torre, prismática cuadrangular y de mampostería, era parecida a la del Faro de la Cerda, adornada con esquinas de sillería.
El incidente más destacado sucedió en 1977 cuando el farero descubre la presencia de varios cadáveres, 14 en total, en la playa y que eran las víctimas del naufragio del "Lasarte" que se había estrellado contra la costa de Prellezo durante la noche.
Berths 57/58/59 ($85 Million) –The Tiburon Group provided Scheduling Support services to the Construction Manager on the Port of Oakland’s fast paced, multi-prime contract wharf and utility project which required the closing of the Golden Gate and Oakland Bay Bridges on two recent occasions to permit the delivery of the eight massive new cranes required for the project.
This challenging project involved the construction of a 3,600-foot long wharf, yard improvements for an 18-acre container terminal, and associated administrative and maintenance buildings at Berths 57,58 and 59. The project featured a rock dike, cement deep soil mixing, storm drainage system relocation of electrical and mechanical utility systems.
Thousands of feet of concrete piling, a new 15-inch forced main horizontally drilled under the Oakland estuary, major utility relocations, thousand of feet of new pipelines, grout injection soil stabilization, and the installation of thousands of yards of structural concrete were performed in the construction of this project.
Also as part of the project was the fast paced construction of a new design build contaminated ground water treatment plant and collection system.