segunda-feira, dezembro 26, 2005


John Paul was born at Arbigland, Kirkbean, Kirkcudbright, Scotland, 6 July 1747. Apprenticed to a merchant at age 13, he went to sea in the brig Friendship to learn the art of seamanship. At 21, he received his first command, the brig John.

After several successful years as a merchant skipper in the West Indies trade, John Paul emigrated to the British colonies in North America and there added "Jones" to his name.
At the outbreak of the American Revolution, Jones was in Virginia.
He cast his lot with the rebels, and on 7 December 1775, he was commissioned first lieutenant in the Continental Navy, serving aboard Esek Hopkins' flagship Alfred.
As First Lieutenant in Alfred, he was the first to hoist the Grand Union flag on a Continental warship. On 1 November 1777, he commanded the Ranger, sailing for France.
Sailing into Quiberon Bay, France, 14 February 1778, Jones and Admiral La Motte Piquet changed gun salutes — the first time that the Stars and Stripes, the flag of the new nation, was officially recognized by a foreign government.
Early in 1779, the French King gave Jones an ancient East Indiaman Duc de Duras, which Jones refitted, repaired, and renamed Bon Homme Richard as a compliment to his patron Benjamin Franklin. Commanding four other ships and two French privateers, he sailed 14 August 1779 to raid English shipping.
On 23 September 1779, his ship engaged the HMS Serapis in the North Sea off Famborough Head, England. Richard was blasted in the initial broadside the two ships exchanged, losing much of her firepower and many of her gunners. Captain Richard Pearson, commanding Serapis, called out to Jones, asking if he surrendered.
Jones' reply: "I have not yet begun to fight!"
It was a bloody battle with the two ship literally locked in combat.
Sharpshooting Marines and seamen in Richard's tops raked Serapis with gunfire, clearing the weather decks. Jones and his crew tenaciously fought on , even though their ship was sinking beneath them. Finally, Capt.
Pearson tore down his colors and Serapis surrendered.
Bon Homme Richard sunk the next day and Jones was forced to transfer to Serapis.
After the American Revolution, Jones served as a Rear Admiral in the service of Empress Catherine of Russia, but returned to Paris in 1790. He died in Paris at the age of 45 on 18 July 1792.
He was buried in St. Louis Cemetery, which belonged to the French royal family.
Four years later, France's revolutionary government sold the property and the cemetery was forgotten.
In 1845, Col. John H. Sherburne began a campaign to return Jones' remains to the United States.
He wrote Secretary of the Navy George Bancroft and requested the body be brought home aboard a ship of the Mediterrean Squadron.
Six years later, preliminary arrangements were made, but the plans fell through when several of Jones' Scottish relatives objected.
Had they not, another problem would have arisen. Jones was in an unmarked grave and no one knew exactly where that was.
American Ambassador Horace Porter began a systematic search for it in 1899.
The burial place and Jones' body was discovered in April 1905. President Theodore Roosevelt sent four cruisers to bring it back to the U.S., and these ships were escorted up the Chesapeake
Bay by seven battleships.
On 26 January 1913, the remains of John Paul Jones were laid to rest in the crypt of the U.S. Naval Academy Chapel in Annapolis, Md. Today, a Marine honor guard stands duty whenever the crypt is open to the public.
Public visiting hours are from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., Mondays through Saturdays, and from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. on Sundays.
Photo A. S. Conrad
Texto Official U.S. Navy Web Site

domingo, dezembro 25, 2005




Photo Karl

terça-feira, dezembro 20, 2005

domingo, dezembro 18, 2005

sábado, dezembro 17, 2005




Photo Doron

quarta-feira, dezembro 14, 2005


O navio porta-contentores ‘CP Valour’, com bandeira das Bermudas, está encalhado desde sexta-feira na Baía da Ribeira das Cabras, na costa norte da Ilha do Faial, arquipélago dos Açores, com 21 tripulantes a bordo.
Até agora, têm falhado todas as tentativas para desencalhar o navio com cerca de 180 metros de comprimento e 18 mil toneladas de peso, que se encontra imobilizado a cerca de meia milha náutica da costa.
As operações para tentar desencalhar o navio prosseguem esta terça-feira, com os rebocadores portugueses ‘São Miguel’ e ‘São Luís’ e o grego ‘Fotiy Krylov’, um dos maiores rebocadores oceânicos do mundo.Entretanto, o Governo Regional já iniciou os trabalhos de limpeza da área afectada por uma mancha de poluição, numa operação coordenada pela secretaria regional do Ambiente.
Photo CP Ships
Texto Correio da Manha

terça-feira, dezembro 13, 2005


When the first Yugoslavia was formed in 1918, there was a need for a sailing ship, but the intention hadn't been realised due to lack of funds. The initiative for obtaining a sailing ship for the Navy and raising the funds for it was once again encouraged by the naval propaganda organisation "The Adriatic guard" in June of 1926. The organisation succeeded in raising a million dinars, and the rest was provided by the Navy, by taking credit and from war compensation. The overall sum needed was 8.407.030 dinars or 622.743 DM.

The contract for building a sailing ship was signed on September 4th 1930 with the German shipbuilding company "H. C. Silken Zon" in Hamburg. They named it "Jadran", and it first plunged into the sea on June 25th 1931. Meanwhile there was a dispute with the shipbuilding company because of the devaluation of the German mark in the market and the payment of war compensation, so that the "Jadran" had not been completed until June 27th 1933, when it first set sail for its homeland. It sailed into Tivat, today's home port of the "Jadran", on July 16th 1933 at 10 a.m. where it was given a formal reception and greeted by a crowd of people.

As early as the next year the sailing ship "Jadran" started going on cruising. Prior to World War II there were seven journeys outside the Adriatic, and only five in post-war period, because the main sailing ship at the time was famous "Galeb". The place that was unjustifiably taken away from sailing ship "Jadran" was bestowed upon again in 1997, when it cruised to Greece.

The most interesting and the longest journey of the "Jadran" (11.262 NM) was to North America, New York and Boston. Upon the invitation of our emigrants, the sailing ship set sail from Dubrovnik on April 20th 1938, to sail into the NYC port on June 21st 1938 through Malta, Gibraltar, Madeira and the Bermudas. It remained in New York for 16 days and was visited by thousands of our emigrants, and the branch office of "The Adriatic guard" from New York gave them the war flag. It is interesting that the crew visited our famous scientist Nikola Tesla on the occasion and gave him the carving of the ship. After this the ship stayed for five days in Boston before it set sail for fatherland.

During World War II the sailing ship "Jadran" was used by the Italian Navy also as a sailing boat, but under the name of "Marco Polo". The agony of the ship started from the moment when Italy surrendered. Totally neglected, bared and plundered, it saw the end of war anchored in one of the Venice canals serving as a bridge. After it had been returned to Yugoslavia in 1946 and overhauled in the "Sava Kovacevic" Maintenance Bureau in Tivat, the experts from the Bureau finished reconstructing the ship to its original form by the middle of 1949. From then onwards, the ship "Jadran" has been maintained and overhauled on regular basis and that's why it belongs to one of the most beautiful types of "barkantine" sailing ships.

Photo Alek Sandar

segunda-feira, dezembro 12, 2005

domingo, dezembro 11, 2005




Photo CP Ships

sábado, dezembro 10, 2005




Photo Marcel Molle

sexta-feira, dezembro 09, 2005




Photo Peter

quinta-feira, dezembro 08, 2005




Photo Adam

quarta-feira, dezembro 07, 2005


Morreu aos 80 anos José Azevedo (18.05.1925 - 20.11.2005) dono do Peter Café Sport, na Horta, Açores.

José Azevedo, colocou no centro do mundo da navegação de recreio um pequeno café que herdou do pai, Henrique Azevedo.

O Café Sport, na Horta, Açores, conhecido entre os velejadores de todo o mundo como Peter’s Café, ganhou esta ‘alcunha’ durante a II Guerra Mundial, quando Henrique Azevedo ajudava a Marinha de Guerra Britânica na difusão do correio e ganhou entre os ingleses o nome de Peter.
Hoje, a Horta é o quarto maior porto de veleiros em rota internacional. No café de chegadas e partidas, Peter reconhece: “Tenho uma convivência diária com histórias de alegria e tristeza”.

terça-feira, dezembro 06, 2005



Photo Alberto

segunda-feira, dezembro 05, 2005


Dedicatória do comandante do Alcyone

Foi há cerca de dois anos que estive a bordo deste magnifico veleiro, com um sistema de velas único... Turbo Vela.
Fez uma escala técnica em Lisboa, mais precisamente em Cascais.
Depois de visitar este magnifico veleiro, e ouvir todas as explicações do comandante, fiquei maravilhado, ou não fosse um veleiro da Fundação Cousteau.
Eu que me deliciava com as aventuras deste Grande Senhor dos Mares, mal podia acreditar que estava mesmo a bordo deste veleiro da Fundação Jacques Cousteau.
Gostaria de visitar o Calypso, mas será muito dificil... Certamente!

domingo, dezembro 04, 2005


"Calypso" Costeau a bordo

O famoso navio que o comandante Cousteau dirigiu, em numerosas aventuras, pelos mares de todo o mundo poderá vir a ser levado para as Bahamas e aí transformado num "centro dedicado à ciência e à educação."
Assim acaba de decidir um tribunal de Paris, indo ao encontro da organização proprietária do navio, a Equipe Costeau, dirigida pela viúva do oceanógrafo, Francine Costeau.
A decisão é contestada por Michel Costeau, filho do comandante, pela associação da tripulação do navio e ainda por Albert Falco, antigo companheiro de viagens de Costeau.
falco diz que o oceanógrafo, falecido em 1997, lhe terá manifestado, por escrito, a sua vontade de que o navio "deveria acabar no Mediterrâneo onde começou."
O Calypso continua a degradar-se, ancorado no Porto de La Rochelle, mas o nome da companhia americana que se propõe pagar um milhão e meio de dólares pela sua recuperação e transporte para as Bahamas também não deixa augurar nada de bom quanto ao seu futuro.
Chama-se Carneveral Cruises.
Texto Visão

sábado, dezembro 03, 2005


Oceanógrafo francês, cineasta e inventor, nascido em 11/Jun/1910, Saint André de Cubzac, França, falecido em 25/Jun/1997, Paris, França, popularizou o estudo da vida marinha através de inúmeros livros, filmes e programas de televisão que ilustram as suas investigações submarinas.

Cousteau, apesar de não ser formalmente um cientista, foi destinado para as explorações submarinas por suas duas paixões: o oceano e o mergulho. Graduou-se na academia naval da França em 1993.

Após um acidente automobilístico quase fatal no qual quebrou os dois braços, ele deixou de lado os planos de se tornar um piloto da Marinha. Durante sua recuperação ele descobriu o mergulho, e sua fascinação pelo esporte o inspirou a desenvolver, junto com Émile Gagnan, o Aqualung, também conhecido como scuba (self-contained underwater breathing apparatus), que se tornou disponível comercialmente em 1946.
Cousteau ajudou a inventar várias outras ferramentas úteis para os oceanógrafos. Ele serviu na Segunda Guerra Mundial como um oficial de armas na França e também foi membro da Resistência Francesa. Mais tarde ele foi condecorado com a Legião da Honra por seu trabalho de espionagem. Os experimentos de Cousteau com filmagens submarinas começaram durante a guerra, e quando a guerra terminou, ele fundou e liderou o Grupo de Pesquisas Submarinas da Marinha da França, e com isso, continuou o seu trabalho.
Para expandir o seu trabalho em exploração marinha, ele fundou inúmeras organizações de marketing, produção, engenharia e pesquisa, que foram incorporadas (1973) como o Grupo Cousteau.
Em 1950, Cousteau transformou um navio britânico no Calypso, um navio de pesquisa oceanográfica no qual ele e seu grupo realizaram inúmeras expedições.
Ele ganhou reconhecimento internacional com a publicação do livro: O Mundo Silencioso (1953), o primeiro de muitos livros. Dois anos depois ele adaptou o livro para um documentário que ganhou a Palma de Ouro (1956) no Festival Internacional de Cannes e o Prêmio da Academia (1957), um dos três oscars que seus filmes ganharam. Aposentado da Marinha em 1956 com o título de capitão, Cousteau trabalhou como diretor do Instituto e Museu Oceanográfico de Mônaco.
No início da década de 1960 ele conduziu experimentos sobre Viver sob as Águas em laboratórios submarinos denominados: Conshelf I, II e III. Cousteau produziu e atuou em muitos programas de televisão, incluindo a série americana: O Mundo Submarino de Jacques Cousteau (1968-1976).
Em 1974 ele formou a Cousteau Society, um grupo ambientalista sem fins lucrativos dedicado à conservação marinha. O seu último livro, Man, the Octopus, and the Orchid, foi publicado postumamente.
Texto Mergulhomania