Hueneme (pronounced "why-nee-mee") is derived from a Chumash Indian word meaning "half-way" or "resting place." It is believed that Indians stopped at Point Hueneme as they transited between today's Point Mugu and the mouth of the Santa Clara River. Point Hueneme and Anacapa Island, located twelve miles offshore from the point, define the southern entrance to the Santa Barbara Channel. A sum of $22,000 was allocated by Congress on March 3, 1873 for a lighthouse to mark Point Hueneme. Remote Anacapa Island would have to wait until 1912 to receive its first light.
Photo Text & Copyright www.Lighthousefriends.com