In 1775, Juan Manuel de Ayala became the first European navigator to sail into San Francisco Bay. He found a protected anchorage in a small cove on the northern side of the bay's largest island and promptly named the island "Isla de Nuestra Senora de Los Angeles" or in English, "Island of Our Lady of the Angels." The name stuck, though later shortened to simply Angel Island. Angel Island's cove, where passengers now disembark to visit the island, is called Ayala Cove in honor of the early explorer.
Photo Text & Copyright www.Lighthousefriends.com