1888. Active; focal plane 36 m (118 ft); one long (1.5 s) white flash every 15 s. 20 m (66 ft) round stone tower with lantern and gallery. Entire lighthouse painted white. The lighthouse stands next to a second century Roman amphitheater, part of which is seen a 2004 photo.
A 2008 photo appears above, the Hovorkas have photos, a 2009 photo and closeup are available, Trabas has a photo by Klaus Potschien, Klaus Huelse has a historic postcard view, and a Google satellite view is available.
This handsome British Imperial tower is the best known and most visited lighthouse of Cyprus. Paphos is at the southwestern corner of the island, where the lighthouse served as the landfall light for ships arriving from Britain. Located on a promontory projecting into the Mediterranean at Paphos.
Site open, tower closed. ARLHS CYP-005; Admiralty E5908; NGA 20836.
Photo & Copyright & Text www.unc.edu.com