domingo, setembro 07, 2008



The southern tip of eight-mile long Conanicut Island had a watch house marking the entrance to busy Narragansett Bay by1705.
Starting around 1712, a pitch fire was maintained by local Indians, under orders from the Jamestown Town Council.
A fog cannon was established at Beavertail in 1719, about the same time one was installed at Boston Light.
The original 58-foot wooden lighthouse built in 1749 was financed by a tonnage duty on ships trading in the area. The first keeper was Abel Franklin, who was paid $160 yearly.

The tower burned down in 1753 and was rebuilt. It was then burned by the British, who removed some of the lighting apparatus, in 1779. Some of the lighting equipment reportedly made it back into some New England lighthouses, including Rhode Island's Point Judith Light.
In 1838, an inspection by Lieut. George M. Bache reported that Beavertail Light was 64 feet high and 98 feet above sea level, with the light visible for 15 3/4 nautical miles.

Photo & Copyright Jeremy D'Entremont 2007

Sem comentários: