Situated on the Wairarapa coast, a township had already been established when the lighthouse was built in 1913.
This made this station one of the more popular assignments as the keepers children could attend a local school and there were shops and a hotel in the township.
The cast iron tower was also the last to be shipped from England and assembled on site.
The lighthouse was automated in 1988.
Text and photographs Mark Phillips.